I have a question about collection accounts

cinque8

Hello,

I have a closed account showing on my credit reports for First Premiere Bank Mastercard in the amount of $950.00. According to Credit Karma, this is not showing on my credit reports as a collections account, but as a closed account.

I recently got an email from a collections agency, that says they purchased this account from First Premiere Bank, and they wanted me to pay off the balance, either in a reduced one time payment, or monthly payments. I do not want a collection to appear on my credit report.

So my questions is: If I do not agree to pay off the balance will a collections show up on my credit reports? And if I do agree to pay off the balance, will a collections show up on my credit reports anyway?

Thank you

6 hours ago, cinque8 said:

Hello,

I have a closed account showing on my credit reports for First Premiere Bank Mastercard in the amount of $950.00. According to Credit Karma, this is not showing on my credit reports as a collections account, but as a closed account.

I recently got an email from a collections agency, that says they purchased this account from First Premiere Bank, and they wanted me to pay off the balance, either in a reduced one time payment, or monthly payments. I do not want a collection to appear on my credit report.

So my questions is: If I do not agree to pay off the balance will a collections show up on my credit reports? And if I do agree to pay off the balance, will a collections show up on my credit reports anyway?

Thank you

Don’t go by Credit Karma.  Get your reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action to see what is actually being reported before you make any decisions.  Also note the date of first delinquency listed by the original creditor (OC).  The entries may also include the date they will fall off your CR.

If the OC sold the account, its entry on your CR will show a $0 balance.  That means the OC no longer owns the account and no balance is owed to the OC.  The balance is then owed to the new owner.  Sometimes the entry will also include “sold” or “transferred”.

If the account was purchased, the new owner has a right to report the account as long as the reporting is accurate.  Unless you get an agreement that they won’t report, there’s no way of knowing whether or not the account will appear on your credit report.