Jump to content

In Pennsylvania, is Midland able to act on judgement prior to my filing an appeal?


Recommended Posts

In Pennsylvania, is Midland able to act on judgement prior to my filing an appeal? I lost my small claims and planning on filing an appeal within the 30 days granted.  If anyone knows, am I at risk of them acting on that judgement prior to the 30 days allowed to file the appeal?

Thank you for any information that you send my way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pennsylvania law allows wage garnishments only for:

  • child or spousal support
  • obligations relating to a final divorce distribution
  • board for four weeks or less
  • certain kinds of taxes
  • student loans
  • court-ordered restitution in criminal matters, and
  • back rent on a residential lease. (In this situation, a garnishment is limited to 10% of net wages, and the garnishment can't cause your salary to fall below the federal poverty guidelines. If your earnings aren't above the federal poverty guidelines, garnishment isn't permitted. Also, a garnishment for damages to the property isn't permitted if the lessee is a victim of domestic abuse.) (42 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 8127, 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 8128).

IDK but I assume unless the appeal requires a surety bond for full amount of Judgement they can pursue collection.

But before they can levy they need to know where to go for it.  Most states allow creditors to question judgment debtors about their assets, either in writing or by ordering a court hearing. You must fully disclose all of your assets if you receive notice of a hearing or a debtor's examination letter. Failure to respond can result in contempt of court charges and possible imprisonment.

After receiving a judgment, a creditor may immediately place a lien on any property you own, subject to your state's exemptions and limitations. A lien gives a creditor the right to be paid a certain amount of money from the sales proceeds when the property is eventually sold. Most times, a creditor will place a lien over real property such as your house. 

As for your bank just keep exempt funds in it.  See if your employer will pay you via check.  Then you can go to that bank and cash it for cash and certified check for rent/mortgage.  Buy money orders or credit cards with cash to pay other bills. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.