Show cause hearing

Arod

44 minutes ago, Arod said:

Can someone please tell me what a “show cause hearing” is? I received a notice of appearance after Midland’s attorney failed to show up for court. 

What exactly does it say?  An example:  The plaintiff doesn’t do something required by the court rules, so the court may have a hearing for the plaintiff to show why the plaintiff’s lawsuit should not be dismissed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arod said:

Can someone please tell me what a “show cause hearing” is? I received a notice of appearance after Midland’s attorney failed to show up for court. 

Show cause means you go to court, which apparently may be ordered by the court itself in your case to state your reasons for the case, or arguments for why the case should be heard. If the other side didn't show up before and that led to the show cause then there is a good chance they may not show to the show cause hearing either.

• Like 1

The clerk says he was instructed to notify me that the judge wants me to appear for the purpose of show cause hearing and there remain until discharged by the court. 

Midland’s attorney didn’t show up, so I don’t understand why the case wasn’t dismissed. 

2 minutes ago, Arod said:

The clerk says he was instructed to notify me that the judge wants me to appear for the purpose of show cause hearing and there remain until discharged by the court. 

Midland’s attorney didn’t show up, so I don’t understand why the case wasn’t dismissed. 

Well, if it was me, I would just file a motion for dismissal and cite their refusal to prosecute. Or just go to court and make that argument at the show cause hearing. Some states are weird like that. I don't know LA specifically, but I am pretty sure that would have resulted in dismissal in Texas where I am. However, if small claims or justice court is the same (not licensed law folk as judges) it is kangaroo court. Sometimes they don't know what they are doing, just as we sometimes don't know what we are doing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BV80 said:

What exactly does it say?  An example:  The plaintiff doesn’t do something required by the court rules, so the court may have a hearing for the plaintiff to show why the plaintiff’s lawsuit should not be dismissed.

8 minutes ago, alwayswinning36 said:

Show cause means you go to court, which apparently may be ordered by the court itself in your case to state your reasons for the case, or arguments for why the case should be heard. If the other side didn't show up before and that led to the show cause then there is a good chance they may not show to the show cause hearing either.

Thanks so much!

If they don't show up then tell judge you like the case dismissed with prejudice.. 

Mention to Judge if you had not appeared and they did wouldn't you award default judgement on their request isn't it fair I should get case dismissed with prejudice.