What to ask for when settling with JDB?

jfdennis

I am currently being sued by a junk debt buyer and am trying to negotiate a settlement with them, but I'm a little confused as to what to ask for to have the best results on my credit report. 

Absolutely nothing related to this debt or the original line of credit is currently listed on my credit report with any of the three bureaus, nor has it been since I've been keeping tabs (the last several years). From reading here, I believe the original (Citi) was removed because it was sold to the JDB (Unifund). 

Is it better to request Unifund not report anything to the bureaus as a condition of the settlement? Or to ask that they report as "paid in full?" Or is there something else entirely I should request?

Also, I know Unifund has no sway over anything Citi does, but should I expect the charge off from Citi to pop up on my credit report after things with Unifund come to a close?

Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, jfdennis said:

Is it better to request Unifund not report anything to the bureaus as a condition of the settlement? Or to ask that they report as "paid in full?" Or is there something else entirely I should request?

it better to request Unifund not report anything to the bureaus as a condition of the settlement?

Also, I know Unifund has no sway over anything Citi does, but should I expect the charge off from Citi to pop up on my credit report after things with Unifund come to a close?

If they are off your report it will not come back on if you settle. 

1 hour ago, jfdennis said:

I am currently being sued by a junk debt buyer and am trying to negotiate a settlement with them, but I'm a little confused as to what to ask for to have the best results on my credit report. 

Have you checked to see if CC agreement has an arbitration clause you can use as leverage in your settlement. I know CA has high fees to respond to lawsuit depending on the size of debt settling before answer might be most cost effective. 

As for credit report it is not being reported,  just request it never gets reported.