Creditor Reported a Portion of a Late Fee 30-Days Late

LaneBlane

Because I had a serious illness in my family, I ended up paying my April mortgage payment on April 29.  I paid a little more than the amount owed.  Unfortunately, on April 11, 2022, they charged a late fee that left $10.07 remaining to be paid. As a result, the bank reported my April payment 30-days late on May 1.

I paid an additional $20 to take care of the $10.07 balance, and asked the bank if they would remove the 30-day mark because the $10.07 was part of the late fee that was assessed later and was not paid 30-days late.  So far they've refused.

I've done a number of Google searches and haven't been able to find anything specifically on reporting a late fee late.  Would anyone happen to have any information on this topic?

UPDATE

After a lengthy call with a collections officer at the bank, they finally agreed to remove the 30-day late mark.  According to them, they will not "post" a payment unless it's complete.  Because there was a $10.07 balance, my payment didn't post until after this amount was covered.

Lesson learned.  If you're making your payment just before the 30-day late mark, make sure you pay every last cent.