Landlord Reporting Rent to Credit Bureaus

Determined1

My landlord, a large national real estate company, recently began reporting my rent to the credit bureaus. While at first I thought this could be a positive, since I always pay on time, my credit scores dropped - I think because the average age of my accounts dropped.

Do landlords / property managers have the right to report rent to the credit bureaus? If I want the reporting removed what would you suggest?

Thank you.

39 minutes ago, Determined1 said:

My landlord, a large national real estate company, recently began reporting my rent to the credit bureaus. While at first I thought this could be a positive, since I always pay on time, my credit scores dropped - I think because the average age of my accounts dropped.

Do landlords / property managers have the right to report rent to the credit bureaus? If I want the reporting removed what would you suggest?

Thank you.

It’s allowed to be reported.  Check out this article.

https://money.usnews.com/credit-cards/articles/how-can-you-get-credit-for-paying-rent

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Determined1 said:

Thank you.

They are allowed to report it, but if you have been a long time tenant you need to verify what they list as the "opening date" for your tenancy - if they are reporting it as when they started reporting and not when you took tenancy, that would certainly reduce your AAOA and therefore reduce your scores. It would also be a FCRA violation.

• Like 1