Consumer Credit Counseling Service Correspondence
Written by: Kristy Welsh
Letter From CCCS
My name is Treg Hansen, Marketing and Education Director for Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Idaho.
I would like to clarify some of your comments about our services. There are some statements that I would like to address.
1. On your page about our organization, you stated that clients who utilize our Debt Management Program are ruining their credit. You stated that they will have 30, 60, and 90 day lates because of a lower payment. You also implied that our sole function is to lower payments.
The truth is most clients who walk in our door already have 30, 60 and 90 day lates on their credit report. The only time this will show on their credit report is if the client does not make their payment on time, or they miss their scheduled payment. At CCCS we negotiate with creditors to have interest waived or reduced as well as late and over limit fees eliminated. Not all creditors negotiate in all of these areas but a majority do. This is how we are able to help the public pay off their debts in a shorter period of time.
2. You also compared the CCCS Debt Management Program to a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
There is a vast difference between our Debt Management Program and aChapter 13 bankruptcy. In our program, the client pays off all their balances and not just a portion as with the 13BK. Also, people who are on the program do buy houses, cars, and establish credit when they demonstrate the ability and stability to do so.
3. On your Alternatives To Filing Bankruptcy page, I thank you for recommending CCCS. However, on your Consumer Counseling Services page you stated, "I usually don't recommend Consumer Credit Counseling Services, because it ruins your credit."
At CCCS we help people take financial responsibility for their debts. We help citizens avoid bankruptcy, which helps all of us. We are a non-profit community service organization that is committed to educating the public about family finance topics. We offer free workshops on various topics that include, but are not limited to: Couples and Money, MoneyManagement, Budgeting, Credit, Buying a Home, Balancing your Checkbook,and Cutting Expenses. We go to high schools, businesses, prisons, and local libraries to educate on several credit-related issues.
We at CCCS are trying to educate and dis-spell some of the myths about our organization and would be happy to answer any of your questions.I am pleased that there are sites like yours because, we need all the help we can get.
I personally work for this company because I am able to help people,which is very rewarding.
Treg R. Hansen
Note: Unfortunately, since the receipt of this letter, their office has since closed.
Ready for help?
- Free personalized credit consultation
- Free access to your TransUnion report summary
- Free credit report audit on all your accounts
- Free score evaluation and recommended solution